
President's Day is coming up and I wanted to pay tribute to one of my heroes. I feel that this day is a forgotten holiday. For Martin Luther King Day, I heard how much the schools taught about this subject. I am glad they teach this but when I hear it, I always think to myself, "I sure hope they don't forget Washington." Too often when he is mentioned his name and character are debased.
So to any who may read this (if any), I would encourage you to take the time to think on the Great Bulletproof George Washington! He truly was a great and inspired man.
Here are some quotes from Latter Day prophets about George Washington:
From President Wilford Woodruff:
"Those men who laid the foundation of this American government were the best spirits the God of heaven could find on the face of the earth. They were choice spirits [and] were inspired of the Lord."
From Presidet Ezra Taft Benson:
"The temple work for the fifty-six signers of the Declaration of Independence and other Founding Fathers has been done. All these appeared to Wilford Woodruff when he was president of the St. George Temple. President George Washington was ordained a high priest at that time. You will also be interested to know that, according to Wilford Woodruff's journal, John Wesley, Benjamin Franklin, and Christopher Columbus were also ordained high priests at that time. When one casts doubt about the character of these noble sons of God, I believe he or she will have to answer to the God of heaven for it. Yes, with Lincoln I say: "To add brightness to the sun or glory to the name of Washington is. . . impossible. Let none attempt it. In solemn awe pronounce the name and in its deathless splendor, leave it shining on."
Happy President's Day!
What a great post, Maria! I love those quotes - going to have to write them down. Also enjoyed the video in the following post. Good stuff...! Happy Pres. Day weekend!!
ReplyDelete