Monday, March 23, 2009

All Roads Lead to . . .


Rome of course!

Today's the day!
We flew Gramma out as she offered to watch our children for us - she is even going to do school with them- WOW! The kids were definitely excited to see her. . . We'll see how Anna does!

For the last couple of months we have been getting ready.

Here are some highlights:
*learning some Italian- I've got "non capisco" down really well!
*making sure our passports were still valid
*getting international driver's license- just in case we are daring enough to take on the Italian road, their drivers, and their fast cars!
*going to our friends' home- the Klippel's for a FHE where they showed us some pictures and shared the ins and outs of exploring Rome
*getting new luggage- for the last few trips we have taken we have promised ourselves that the NEXT trip we would get some as our current ones are ripping at the seems- we finally decided it was time for them to go to suitcase heaven!
*making our itinerary- we are also taking a day trip to Florence/Pisa and Pompeii/Sorrento
*getting tickets to the Vatican, different museums, etc. . .
*Learning more about ancient Rome- it happens to be that for school we have been studying the Romans so it fit in perfectly!
*getting some awesome advise from my brother and his wife - they sent us some of their guide books- they're in Italian and Spanish but I think we'll get by!
*Writing out lesson plans and schedules for our awesome volunteer substitute teacher!
*Watching Roman Holiday with Audrey Hepburn- we actually never got to this - we are going to watch it on the plane!
*Dreaming about yummy Italian food! Yummy!

Well, off to some last minute packing!

ciao!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, how HEAVENLY, Maria!! I am dying to go there, too!!! My sister served her mission in the Rome mission and brought home some AMAZING ties. Seriously, I might consider wearing ties just to wear one of those things! :) Have a wonderful time - can't wait to see pics when you guys get back!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous!!! I hope you two have a ton of fun! Eat some yummy Italian food for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! What a wonderful opportunity for you two! That is so amazing! Have a great time and post some pictures when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SOOOOO excited for you and Reed! Enjoy the trip and I want to hear all about it from both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ciao! Wow! How exciting! Know you all will have a fantastic time! Lee & I along with Emilie & Brian are going there in the Spring. You will have to give us some tips! Arrivederci! Ellen

    ReplyDelete